Request your free citizen science soil collection kit
Your participation in this program is completely free. However, if you would like to support this research program, considering making a donation. For as little as $5, you can cover the cost of your soil collection kit and its shipping. Click here to donate online.
Using the kit is simple and it only takes a few moments to collect a sample. Click here to view a brief video tutorial of how to use your kit once you receive the kit! Return postage is prepaid.
A few important notes about the Citizen Science Soil Collection Program:
- The soil collection kits are provided for the purpose of allowing citizen scientists to participate in the research and discovery process as described on the previous page. We are not a “free sample” website. Each kit carries a unique identification code and we look forward to its return shipment to the laboratory.
- Soil samples must originate from within the United States.
- We encourage the submission of samples from all interested individuals and groups including school-related organizations (e.g., public, private, and home school groups). If you are submitting a sample on behalf of an educational organization, indicate this on the submission form and we will do our best to expedite the analysis process, but please recognize that this work takes time and it can be several months before results become available.
- All samples submitted to this program must be accompanied by a completed and signed submission form, which will accompany your kit. All submissions will become the property of the University of Oklahoma and will not be returned.
- Please note that we are not a fungal diagnostic service; if you need help identifying specific fungi in your soil, you should contact one of the many commercial firms that specialize in this type of work.
- If you require multiple kits for a group event, please contact us at NPDG@ou.edu to discuss your needs.